The Effects of Anesthesia Mistakes on Patients
If a doctor or other medical professional makes a mistake when administering your anesthesia, it can result in serious pain, medical complications, and even death. However, such errors are unfortunately common. There are a number of things that can and often do go wrong when doctors administer anesthesia, including:
- Failure to educate patients about preparing for anesthesia: Patients may not be aware of restrictions on eating, drinking, alcohol, medication, etc. before going under anesthesia, and may experience complications as a result.
- Administering too much or too little anesthesia: If a patient receives too little anesthesia, they may wake up and experience severe pain during a procedure. If they receive too much, they may go into a coma, their heart rate may drop dangerously low, or they could die.
- Failure to monitor anesthetized patients: While under anesthesia, a patient’s physical state is fragile and requires careful attention. Doctors and medical professionals who fail to keep an eye on a patient’s vital signs and physical changes while the patient is under anesthesia may find themselves responsible for the resulting death, injuries, or harm that comes about.
- Severe drop in blood oxygen levels: Anesthesia can have adverse effects if administered improperly, which can kill the patient, cause serious brain damage, damage vital tissues, and do other serious harm.
- Incorrect intubation: This can cause respiratory problems, speech problems, damage to internal organs, and more.
Such injuries and complications can result in serious physical and medical complications, causing affected patients and their families to rack up thousands of dollars in additional medical expenses, some of which may be long-term if they create disability. In some cases anesthesia errors can even result in death.
Sedalia Medical Malpractice Attorneys Are Here to Serve You
At Kempton & Russell, it is our aim to make sure you are given representation that is both aggressive and compassionate. We know that when you come into our offices, you are experiencing the aftershock of serious personal, physical, emotional, and/or financial damages, so we make it a point to be your cordial, compassionate guides throughout the process. However, we are also committed to aggressively pursuing fair, just solutions on your behalf and demanding that those responsible for your suffering pay for the consequences of their mistakes.
Call (660) 722-4115 today or contact us to schedule your complimentary case evaluation.
More Information on Medical Errors and Malpractice Claims
Interested in reading more about medical malpractice? We can help. Our regularly-updated blog is full of great information to help address your questions and concerns. The best way to get the guidance you need in the aftermath of a serious medical mistake or instance of malpractice is to connect with a Sedalia medical malpractice attorney immediately.
However, in the interim, here are a few blog posts to get you thinking: