What Is My Doctor Supposed to Do if They Make a Mistake During Surgery?
When doctors make mistakes during surgery or doing another medical procedure and they are aware that they have done so, they are legally required to fully disclose their errors to you and your family members, if applicable. It is unlawful for physicians to knowingly disclose mistakes that will impact your health and well-being. If you have been the victim of a medical error, it is important to be aware of your rights.
If your doctor makes a mistake during a procedure, they are required to do the following:
- Notify the patient of the error within 24 hours of the incident.
- Explain the nature of the error to the person and family members, if applicable.
- Assume responsibility for the error.
- Take measures to remedy the effects of the error and inform the patient of their options.
What Should You Do if a Surgeon Makes a Mistake?
If you believe a surgeon made a mistake during a surgical procedure, you should seek consultation from a medical malpractice attorney. Patients have a right to ask their physician if their medical mistake was avoidable or could have been prevented in any way, as well as the reasons it occurred in the first place.
Medical Malpractice Attorneys Serving Clients in Columbia & Sedalia
If you or someone you love has been hurt because of a medical mistake, we may be able to help you recover compensation for the resulting complications, treatments, and other heft financial expenses that may result. At Kempton & Russell, we are experienced medical malpractice attorneys with a track record of success, and we are pleased to lend you our services so that you can achieve a just, fair outcome in your case. Connect with a member of our team as soon as you discover that you have been affected by a medical error of any kind and allow us to be your advocates during this time.
- Medical Malpractice: Violation of Patient Consent
- What Is My Doctor Supposed to Do if They Make a Mistake During Surgery?
- Can I Sue My Doctor Years After Surgery?
- Related: What Happens When Doctors Make Anesthesia Errors?
Call (660) 722-4115 to speak to a Sedalia medical malpractice attorney or send us a message to schedule your free, confidential consultation with a member of our team.